Tuesday, December 13, 2011

If They Don't Want It, Is it Stealing?

So there is this small utility trailer abandoned on Rt 175 at Tamar Dr., like a mile and a half from my house. Been there for like a month. When I first saw it, the tongue was leaning up against it, like it had broken off.  After it sitting there for three weeks, I finally stopped to check it out. Not bad. Lots of surface rust, but solid. New wheels. All the wiring and the tongue is gone. But, it's just a straight tongue that bolts on. Easy fix. So, I'm thinking I can just take this thing home and fix it. Check the MVA site to see what kind of hoops they would  put me through to tag a salvaged trailer. Lots if I don't have a title. So I figure I ought to call the Police to see what they say. Nope, can't just take it, even if it's been sitting there forever. They have to run a VIN check (good luck finding one). If they can't find one or the owner doesn't claim it after they run a check, they tow it away and auction it off somewhere, some time. The duty officer even said that it would be a whole lot easier if I just took it, but can't let me. Bah. Phooey.

2 comments:

cromulent said...

Even if you followed the law and managed to end up getting the trailer you'd have to have it inspected and titled. An inspection will run at least $50, there's now a minimum $100 titling fee for EVERY class of vehicle in MD and who knows what it would cost to make the thing pass inspection in the first place. Probably not worth bothering.

On the other hand this may be a smoking hot deal. I'll email you so you can try and scoop it up. :)

Evil Mr. Clean said...

All good points. Got a dose of those fees when I checked the MVA site too. Ouch.