Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life Intervenes

As usually happens, life has a way of letting you know that you aren't in total control. Earlier in the week, I did manage to get the transfer case in, even fabbed up some bushings on the linkage to silence the rattling shifter. Hopefully it will last. Got all the wiring wired. Got the transmission linkages installed.

But between work and other events, I haven't touched it since Monday and I'll not be able to lay hand to wrench again until Sunday. That's not leaving me much time to tinker.

I still need to put the shifter back in, check the vacuum hose configuration, fill engine trans and transfer case with fluids and install the exhaust. I'm pretty well resigned to putting the single back on, but have to patch the passenger side pipe. I'll get the duals on eventually. I'm just not going to have time to mess with it before Pinelands.

...and that's just the drive train related stuff. Also have to blast, paint and install the inners, windshield frame and grill, not to mention the radiator and the rest of the sheet metal: doors, fenders, hood, etc. If I get it running and that's all I need to do, I'll put 'em on as-is and take ]em back off afterwards to blast and paint.

Oh, and before that, there is the slight issue of welding metal in that big hole I cut out of the firewall.

The big question mark for me, though, is the carb. I need to pull the top of it off to clean out the mud dawber nests in the vent tubes and check the bowl. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't need  a rebuild. If so, you'll see me dropping all this stuff where it is and start putting the new header gasket in Heavy D and going to the bank for more gas money, so I can drive that to Pinelands.

7 Days to Pinelands and counting down...

No comments: