Tuesday, December 7, 2010

See What Happens?

So, my bro needed to haul a load of firewood on Sunday. Seems I have this bid red truck sitting out front perfectly suited for such things. So, I says "yeah, go ahead, just don't break it."

A couple hours later he calls and says it's leaking antifreeze all over the place - and he can't get the hood open to check it out. oofdah!

So, I go over after work on Monday to have a look-see. Mind you, it's about 32 degrees with a 20 mph wind. Maybe I'll take some gloves. Anyway, have a look around. It doesn't look like it was leaking from the lower hose, which was my first guess. Pop the hood and voila, there's the problem. Seems one of the fan belts is gone and the other is dangling off the alternator. The ps pump belt is spun around 180 degrees, but still on the pump. Hmmm. Near as I can figure, one of the fan belts broke and in doing so, knocked off the other one and a shard of it got in the pulley just enough to spin the ps belt. With no belt on the water pump, it quickly boiled over. My bro said the temp never got to the redline and just let loose when he pulled up to the house, so that's good anyway.

So, I loosened up the alternator and got that one belt back on and then loosened up the ps pump and spun that belt back around. Tightened 'em back up and we should be good to go.

Fired it up and let it idle a while. No leaks, but I don't know how much antifreeze is left in there anyway. Need to fill it up and see, but I don't think there will be an issue. He'll pick me up on his way home from work one of these nights and I'll top it off and drive it home.

Funny how things just seem to happen when you lend out your vehicles - even if they are not fault of the driver.

1 comment:

cromulent said...

I boiled all the coolant out of Kemosabe the other day when we fired her up. Apparently that's what happens when you warm a vehicle up to 200+ degrees with the radiator cap off and then shut the engine down -- geyser!

Oh well, back to normal now. Glad to hear Heavy D is OK too. :)