Sunday, December 19, 2010

Incontinent

Well, so it seems that I wasn't so lucky with the recent fan belt incident as I thought. Went over to bro's house last weekend to help him get his Scout started, which we did - although his starter acted up a bit and his steering box is a little wonky, but that's another story.

Topped off Heavy D with antifreeze and ran it a bit, then moved it to the front of bro's house and it didn't drip nary a drop. So, I figure it's good. Wrong-o Batman.

Drove it home and upon parking it out front, I notice that it's puking antifreeze all over the street. This ain't good. Hopefully it's just the hose, right? Nah. Finally took a look at it this weekend and it seems that it's leaking from the seam in the driver's side tank.

So, here is a little recap of the events that took place under the hood, near as I can figure. While my bro was driving it two weeks ago, one of the fan belts grenaded (confirmed by the several pieces of belt found strewn around the engine bay). That belt coming apart knocked off the other fan belt, which was found hanging from the alternator. It also got pieces in the PS belt pulley, because that one was rotated around in the pulley, but still on.

Anyway, so without the fan belt, no water pump and it boiled over. The higher pressure in the tank caused it to bloat just a bit and split the seam. Sound plausible? Sounds like a headache to me. Now I have to get a new radiator or replace this one.

What's the deal with me and truck radiators? I had rad trouble with the gold Travelette too.

Add it to the list.

No comments: