Saturday, September 18, 2010

Stanley Steamer

Spent today cleaning up the transmission. Oy, what a mess that thing was after years of collecting oil and mud. Got it pretty darned clean, tho. Not all is perfect in binderland, however. When I tipped up the tail end of the tranny, it leaked fluid out the front shaft. Also did it when I racked it upside down so I could get to the pan and innerds easier. I'm thinking it's not supposed to do that (or would that be just because the torque converter isn't there?). Then, when I pulled the pan, I see a nice little collection of metal shavings in the bottom. I'm thinking that they aren't supposed to be there either. The question is where did they come from and am I going to need to tear into this thing. I had planned to vent it, but I really don't want to attempt a rebuild. The thing worked fine when I took it out, but I'm not liking the looks of things. Maybe I'll put in the spare and rebuild this one later.

2 comments:

cromulent said...

Fluid running out the input shaft opening is normal if there's no torque converter installed; it's the TC seal that seals that opening. Likewise when you flip it over -- the fluid returns to the sump via gravity; it weren't meant to be operated topsy-turvy!

The metal shavings may or may not be a problem. How big were they, and how much material was it? Some shavings are part of normal wear & tear. I'd be more worried about finding a thick gray slurry indicating major clutch wear. If the trans worked great when pulled I'd be inclined to just clean things up and drop the pan in a few thousand miles to recheck things. Then again, I have a AAA Premier membership so I don't worry much about towing. Heh. :)

Evil Mr. Clean said...

Ah yes, AAA is my friend.

After a consult with tranny guru Miek Mayben, I'm of the opinion that all is well in binderland. The particulate in the pan was pretty small and not a lot of it. Now I'm debating whether I want to vent this one or just put this one back in as-is and do a more complete reseal/vent/shift kit on my spare when I have time and not rush it. I'm leaning toward going with what I've got for now and swapping later.