Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Test Fit Tuesday

Now that the POR15 is all dry, it's time to see how this thing will go together. I needed to grind down a few of the old welds to get the middle mount to sit flush, but is goes in pretty well. I decided to pile on the skins to see how it fits and found that putting this mount over what's left of an old repair moves it rearward a bit, so I'm going to have to shim the B pillar forward. 

I also learned not to trust the body mount hole drilled in the part by the fabricator. I need to redrill it about 3/4" farther outboard. Remember that support I welded in? Yeah. It looks like it's going to  be right in the way of the new hole. 😣 I'll deal with that later. 

I put in the half cab bulkhead, inner fender and outer skin and played with positioning a bit. I think I can get it all lined up. It looked like I needed to shim the front mount, so added a significant shim of about 1/2". We'll see if that is too much, but for now I'm going with it. The door still isn't right. I'm going to need to shim the hinges away from the A pillar. One more thing to deal with later. 

But, it doesn't look half bad. 

The 'new' inner doesn't seem to line up quite right with the patch I cut and fit to the wheel well. The inner has a slightly larger radius. I can probably play with it, but I'm glad that I haven't welded in that patch yet. 

No comments: