Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Who Knew?

So, who knew that the front hubs on a '71 1100 4x4 are smaller than those on a '78 Scout? I sure didn't. Went to swap out tires and daggone it, the things don't fit on the hub. I'll be darned. So much for having mud tires on Hanky for Pinelands. I think that I'll still put a pair in the back as spares in case that cut in the sidewall of one of the AT's decided to give out. I should at least be able to put them on the rear and have a matched pair on each axle.

So, on to the next thing on the list. Flipping the roll bar bolts. Not thinking when I put them on that they would tear up my tires, I dropped them in from the top. So, before I subject my 32s to the business end of the bolt shank, I flipped 'em the way they should be. While I was at it I relocated the fire extinguisher from the roll bar to the driver's seat base. Much easier access should I have another dash fire (fingers firmly crossed, hoping that extinguisher never gets used).

I did get to drive it today. Took it to the gym this morning. Behaved pretty well. Even at highway speed on US 29, I could drive it with one hand. Now, if I was on a road that was rutted, I'm sure it would have been more of a hand full. Still, I think that I'm driving with a little negative caster, so really should get those shims in before I hit the highway next weekend. Gotta swap out those heater hoses though. And it has a little bit of an oil leak. Looks like from the passenger valve cover.

No comments: