Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm Floored

Progress, real progress! The floor is in! As expected, the finishing seems to go a whole lot faster than the prep. I ended up using flux core to weld in the stringers, seam sealed the edges of Friday, then welded in the floor on Saturday. Everything went very well. There are a few fitment issues that I need to address, but I don't think that it will be noticeable once the bed liner is on and the seat installed. I also drained the radiator and started in on the Borgeson install by removing the old steering linkage. Need to get the rag joint end off the steering box. Haven't looked at it hard enough to see how it comes off, so any inside knowledge appreciated before I bust a few knuckles doing that part.

Once the borgeson is in, the radiator buttoned back up and the mounts tightened, it will be a roller. I'll just have the bottom of the quarter panel and rear dog leg to finish up. I'm getting ansty to drive it again.

Don't let the look of the trans hump and rest of the floor fool you, what you see is the combination of the original terra cotta brown color and the residual glue from the carpet. That will be wire brushed off and bed lined along with the rest of the floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Too bad it won't drain as easily next time you swamp it, though. Heh heh.

As for the rag joint end on the PS box input shaft, the bolt holding it on is either a 6- or 12-point fine thread 5/16" bolt that passes through a flat on the input shaft. When you put the Borgeson joint on be sure to tighten its set screw on the flat part (i.e., so you don't chew up any splines). Don't forget the red LocTite. :)

Evil Mr. Clean said...

yep, that little bolt threw me for a minute. The 6 point wouldn't fit, but the 12 point did.